My name is Rebecca DeLaney (usually go by Becka) and I was raised in southern California most of my life. I lived in Spokane, WA for a couple years when I was a kid. I'm so glad I'm back. The weather here is a lot better than it was up there..well actually the pacific northwest is actually really pretty and nice during the summer, fall, and spring. The winter is just too cold for words.
I grew up in Downey, CA (Los Angeles County in case you don't know where that is) and still live there to this day. I lived in Anaheim for a quick minute and have since realized how expensive living on your own can be. I am now in the process of making a comeback.
I work full time at a publishing company located in Irvine for nine motorcycle magazines and a couple of other car/truck magazines assisting four sales reps in the advertising department. I like writing and try to find freelance when I can. I have freelanced mostly for music magazines but would like to explore the idea of writing other people's stories i.e. human interest. I'm really interested in the idea of maybe making a documentary one day. Who knows? I'm still exploring and figuring out where God wants me to do still.
I love coffee/tea places, listening and checking out new music and enjoy experiencing musicians in their element, reading magazines and books (I read a variety of different topics), having deep conversations on random topics, reading the newspaper, a new listener of AM radio, spend way too much time on Facebook and MySpace, working out, driving up the coast, traveling and hanging out with friends and meeting new people.
I grew up Catholic up until I was 18 and left the church because I never felt that I knew God or could feel Him for that matter. Church growing up was more of an activity that was expected of me--a personal relationship with God was a foreign concept to me. It was during this time that I had the curiousity to know if God was real and started reading the Bible on my own. As I read the Bible night after night, I felt a feeling that I had never experienced before--it was like someone was holding me close and never letting me go. It was like if I didn't have my helping of scripture, I felt like something was missing. It was a strange feeling and I never understood at the time what it was. I had accepted Christ in the personal depths of my bedroom but I still really didn't know what that meant. I didn't have an overwhelming conversion like most people talk of, I told Christ I accepted him and that was that.
The next year, I dated a guy who brought my to my first Christian church experience at First Baptist Church of Lakewood. It was very different but I liked learning about a God I felt I never knew. At first I was very angry and felt that I was mislead. I tried going back to my old church and demanded from one of the priests why they taught the congregation about pregatory when there is no mention of it anywhere in the Bible. His answer was very abstract and it left me more confused than before and just plain angry. I began buying Christian books and having a lot of conversations about God to believers and non-believers alike. To make this story short, I have had my downfalls in the faith and I have been on track. I get confused sometimes of my progress and feel that I am not growing. I would like to stay on track and not fall anymore. Sometimes I feel like Paul when he talks about battling with the flesh in Romans Ch 8. I feel like it's a constant war and sometimes I just want to rest. Sometimes I beat myself up when I'm not up to par of where I feel I should be. Really, I just want to know balance.
This is who I am and where I am now. Nice to meet you.
Hey Becca,
ReplyDeletenice to "meet you" :) I just wanted to encourage you in how beautifully you write. Just reading a small part about your walk with Jesus is encouraging. I have found that when I feel like I am 100 percent balanced... I'm missing Him most. If at all possible give thanks for feeling like you have to keep trying to seek more of God. Something about that is the richest part of the journey. Keep seeking, keep asking questions and keep wanting more... I know God shows up in those sweet moments. Looking forward to getting to know you! Have a great week.
Wow, what an awesome story :) Thanks for sharing that so openly and honestly. I so agree with Courtney that sometimes that deep feeling of longing and wanting more of God (even when we feel like we're falling or never going to get there), can be the sweetest parts of our journey. I'll never forget what my pastor in Chicago used to say, "When people come up to me and tell me that they keep struggling with the same sins, and feeling like they just can't move past them...I tell them, "that's AWESOME" because it means God is in you, working!" It's a tough place, but the best place b/c CLEARLY God is working in you...praise Him for that! Excited to know you!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing! Your third paragraph was seeded with words that caught my attention (motorcycle, car, coffee, tea, conversations on random topics), but when you talked about really getting into reading the bible and being sensitive to God's presence, I was encouraged to do the same.
ReplyDeleteI can totally relate growing up Catholic as well and accepting Jesus around the age of 18-19. For some reason I can't really pin point when I turned my life to Jesus since I guess its hard for me to remember point where I began to know Him rather than knowing of Him.
ReplyDeleteGoing along with Courtney, we will find our balance once we see Him in heaven. Life is a continual journey in itself with or without Him but when we allow Him to come into our hearts, we open ourselves up to unexplainable joy and peace that can't be found without Him.
Sometimes, I get caught in the idea that I'm not wise enough or not far along enough on my walk with Christ compared to others in the church that it ends up crippling me and slowing me down in my walk but in the end, I remind myself that we are all unique and have our own parts to play in the body of Christ.
i know exactly what you mean about beating yourself up because you feel like youre not up to par. i struggle with that too sometimes. what helps me the most is to think about how i could never be "up to par" in Gods eyes, so thats why i have to focus and i have to depend on grace. i think about how we are saved by grace and not through works and so comparing myself to others and thinking im not where i should be is a stronghold for the enemy.
ReplyDeletei have to remind myself that i'm right where i need to be, resting in the grace of the cross; in highs and lows, through happiness and through suffering, through growth and through flatness. Praise God its not about our efforts but his inescapable grace :)
I love the fact that you freelance write. And especially for music magazines. That seems like it would be so much fun being that I am kind of a music junkie =) And I hope you go for your idea of making a documentary!!!
ReplyDeletei recently was talking to a friend of mine who is thinking about making a documentary about his life.... and that goes right along with your love for deep conversations.
ReplyDeleteyour blog makes me feel like i'm sitting in a living room, which is awesome in a chai latte kinda way, and just the thought of talking about music and life with a person who see words as art... soooo *sigh* exciting.
can't wait to meet you in person!!
Thanks for sharing about your ups and downs. And don't be discouraged. We're all learning.
ReplyDeleteThanks for writing...and so beautifully.
I completely agree with the not feeling up to par thing, also (along with mr. Zach:) ). I feel like if God wanted us to be perfect, He could have made us that way, or at least all the same so that we would all be identical. Same gifts, same feelings, same passions, etc. But He did not. And thanks be to God we are not perfect, and for good reason. The more we realize how imperfect we will ALWAYS be, the greater we can rest and trust that God is more than enough and the only way to true Life. Thanks for this post and it was "nice to meet you" :)
ReplyDeleteThank you all for your comments. They have been really encouraging! :)
ReplyDeleteYay I finally found your blog again Becka! When I met you on Friday I remembered reading it, but I could not for the life of me remember what you called it! I guess it will be a good idea to print little nametags with our blog names on them! But I just wanted to tell you how wonderful it was to have lunch with you on Friday! I can't wait to get to know you more and I'll have to break out more of my owl jewelry for you!
ReplyDeleteIt was great having lunch with you Friday :)
ReplyDeleteand I love owl jewelry too :) WHO ARE WE RIGHT NOW?! lol
ReplyDeleteHey Becka! Reading your story about growing up in the Catholic church like looking into a mirror. Everything you said rang so true. What a great feeling it is to have a true relationship with God. I didn't come to know the Lord like I do know until I left home and came to college. I love the way you just throw everything out there. Thanks so much for sharing!
ReplyDelete